Success to Significance welcomes Kary Oberbrunner, CEO of Igniting Souls. Kary is a leadership coach, author of seven books, and leader of a rapidly growing business. Our conversation centers on becoming “unhackable” this year.
Kary talks about the ways we get hacked (sometimes without even knowing it), the impact of being hacked, and how to become “unhackable.”
What kinds of distractions do we face?
- Web browsing: According to a study conducted by the research firm Dscout, The average person spends a total of five hours a day browsing the web and using apps. This equates to around a third of the time a person is awake, and is twice as often as many people realize.
- Smart phones: Researchers also found smartphone use was typically confined to short bursts, with more than half of uses lasting less than 30 seconds. This means that people experience “distracted work” far more regularly than real “deep work.“
- Multi-tasking: We believe we can multi-task. In fact, multi-tasking is a myth. The brain can only do 1 cognitive activity at a time. This phenomenon, more properly understood as switch-tasking, decreases our productivity by up to 40%.
- Streaming videos: According to Reel In Reel, 11 billion hours is spent watching videos on Netflix every month.
- Advertising: According to an article in the NY Times, the average person sees 5,000 ads a day.
- Decision fatigue: Researchers at Cornell University discovered that the average person makes 226.7 food decisions a day. Think about all the other decisions we make each day…
All of these and many more distractions “hack” our brains and prevent us being the persons we are intended to be. Kary offers understanding and a real solution that he has put into practice himself. His personal changes, becoming “unhackable,” are paying significant dividends in his family, his business, and his life.
Our conversation is the perfect 2017 starting point for our Success to Significance community. Start this year, your year, with intentionality. If you've participated in the How to Become Unhackable Webinar, or taken the Unhackability Assessment, our discussion will mean even more to you.
Listen to Engineering Your Dream Life By Maximizing Ideas, Focus and Flow
Kary's Thought Leadership
- “I changed my entire Value Proposition Statement because of this concept [of being hacked].”
- “You can have the best goals, the best dreams and the best clarity, but if you are not careful, you will get hacked and as a result, your legacy will suffer.”
- “Hacked is someone or something gaining unauthorized access to a computer or system. We are systems and when someone gains unauthorized [or unconscious] access to us, we are hacked.”
- The average person touches their smart phone over 2600 times per day. The majority of those are short, 30 second bursts. So in reality, we are rarely going into deep work. This is why our entire day feels like one big hack.”
- “We leave attention residue when we go from task to task, which creates unconscious decision fatigue.”
- “You Need To Equip Yourself To Navigate The Noise Of Life.”
- “Right now, someone else wishes they were you. We live in a Facebook world where we can see one billion backyards. It's called disassociation. It means that we look at our lives as too painful, lacking sense, or unfulfilling, so we disassociate from our lives and envy other peoples' lives. When we do that, you can no longer show up filled up. You are hacked.”
- “You life becomes other peoples' agendas for most people alive today. That creates a powerlessness and conditions for imprisonment. When you have no choice, you are imprisoned, and most people feel that in their lives.”
- “Unhackability centers on Idea, Focus, and Flow.”
- “Abracadabra means I create as I speak. It says your words have power, your ideas have weight.”
- “Most people go from idea to frustration because they haven't built Idea, Focus and Flow into their lives.”
- “When people aren't clear what they want, I know I can't help them. Any time I get a ‘pick your brain' request, the reality is they have not filtered yet what they want.”
- “When you prepare for the moment, the moment is prepared for you.”
- “A distracted life is not a life of purpose or a life of meaning. You are making a small dent when you are meant to have a large impact.”
- “You can do anything you want, but you can't do everything you want.”
- “…and that's why we're not Richard Branson.”
Links to Resources Mentioned
- Unhackabilty Assessment
- How to Become Unhackable Webinar
- Elixir Project Experience
- Elixir Project Book
- Author Academy Elite – With over 300 authors, more than 30 books published in 2016, and twice that expected in 2017. Could you be next?
- Dream Job Bootcamp – Self study course to help you identify and pursue your avocation.
- Natural Wood Mirrors
- The Shawshank Oak Tree Pedestal
- Shawshank Redemption – The movie. Voted best movie of all time according to IMDB.
Kary's Contact Information
2017 Success to Significance Community Survey
Be A Part of the Success to Significance Community
- Subscribe: Subscribe to The Success to Significance Podcast in iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher Radio.
- Encourage: If you've listened to a few episodes, please do us a favor and provide a rating & review. Make sure you use your real name and website in the text of the review itself. Rick will mention you on a future show.
- Share: Share a link to Success to Significance with the people that matter to you – right click & copy a link to this page, the link to iTunes, the link to Google Play, or the link to Stitcher Radio.
- Engage: Subscribe to Rick's Success to Significance newsletter
- Connect: with Rick on LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+.
- Communicate: Email Rick at Rick@RickCoplin.com with questions, comments, and encouragement. You can also leave a voice message below. You will hear back from him & he is eager to help.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Success to Significance.
I appreciate your time and attention. We live in a busy, noisy world, and for you to invest your time in learning from our Success to Significance guests, is deeply meaningful to each one of our guests and deeply meaningful to me
If there is anything I can do to help you, leave a voice message above or email me at Rick@RickCoplin.com.
Photo Sources: KaryOberbrunner.com