Success to Significance welcomes Jonathan Milligan, a former teacher and recruiter who has built a successful online business helping others create the life and work they love.
Jonathan Milligan is like many of us, in that his avocation evolved through a series of less-than-planned jobs, setbacks and successes. He started his career as a teacher and after a few years, transitioned to recruiting in the finance and insurance industry.
More digital products followed, and Jonathan and his wife made the decision in 2009 that he would become a full time entrepreneur.
At each step along the way, Jonathan was adding knowledge and skills that enabled him to begin blogging and creating digital products full time. One of his missions is “To help 1,000 bloggers to go full time within the next five years.”
In 2015, Jonathan published his first book, The 15 Success Traits of Pro Bloggers: A Proven Roadmap to Becoming a Full-Time Blogger. This is an excellent resource on the principles of success for every entrepreneur.
Other books are in the works, so stay tuned!
He is an advocate of building a portable family-oriented business. Jonathan is an Encourager. He generously teaches others how they can follow his example to create a lifestyle business.
Listen to Episode 014
Jonathan's Thought Leadership
- “It was a long series of working at it and building a business brick by brick over time. Each year, each month got a little better and a little better.”
- “I was pretty much your regular put on your tie, go to work everyday, do the best that you can, build a business guy. I wanted to have impact in a bigger way.”
- “We live in a mentor or coach economy. We can take the things we are passionate about, the things that we know, the experiences we've had, and we can help thousands upon thousands of people.”
- “It starts by getting things out there, packaging your knowledge and expertise, offering services … trying things and putting them out there to find out what resonates with people.”
- “What I've done, anybody can do. If you have the heart of a teacher and want to mentor & coach, you can do it.”
- “Get in the game and start taking action, You get better as you move along.”
- “Trust and Authority come from a lifetime of serving others.”
- “Money buys time. When you create things that people can purchase without you giving of your time, it can create time back for you … I choose to invest that time with my family.”
- “If I have been successful [at business] and I have failed as a parent or a spouse, I don't see that I am successful.”
- “Learning feels like progress, but it's not necessarily progress. We have to back it up with action.”
- “An opportunity may come calling, but if it doesn't line up with up with your core values of what you want your business to look like, then don't make that choice.”
Links to Resources Mentioned
- Moleskine Evernote Journal with Smart Stickers. This comes with 1 month free Evernote Premium Subscription.
- Nozbe – A great tool for managing tasks, projects and teams.
- Jonathan mentioned his guiding acronym, LIFE: Lifestyle, Impact, Financial Freedom, Effort. Here's one of Jonathan's articles on developing your acronym: How to Create Guiding Principles to Design a Life and Work You Love
- Jonathan's Book, The 15 Success Traits of Pro Bloggers: A Proven Roadmap to Becoming a Full-Time Blogger is an excellent resource for anyone pursuing a successful business.
- Websites: JonathanMilligan.com and BlogginYourPassion.com
- Blogging Your Passion Podcast
- Ask Jonathan to email you a copy of The 15 Success Traits of Pro Bloggers pyramid
- Jonathan on LinkedIn
Be A Part of the Success to Significance Community
- Subscribe: Subscribe to The Success to Significance Podcast in iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher Radio.
- Encourage: If you've listened to a few episodes, please do us a favor and provide a rating & review. Make sure you use your real name and website in the text of the review itself. Rick will mention you on a future show.
- Share: Share a link to Success to Significance with the people that matter to you – right click & copy a link to this page, the link to iTunes, the link to Google Play, or the link to Stitcher Radio.
- Engage: Subscribe to Rick's Success to Significance newsletter
- Connect: with Rick on LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+.
- Communicate: Email Rick at Rick@RickCoplin.com with questions, comments, and encouragement. You can also leave a voice message below. You will hear back from him & he is eager to help.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Success to Significance.
I appreciate your time and attention. We live in a busy, noisy world, and for you to invest your time in learning from our Success to Significance guests, is deeply meaningful to each one of our guests and deeply meaningful to me
If there is anything I can do to help you, leave a voice message above or email me at Rick@RickCoplin.com.
Photo Sources: Jonathan's websites