Success to Significance welcomes David Branderhorst, who left a banking career to be a full time dad. As his kids entered school, he pursued entrepreneurial opportunities and now impacts people on a global scale.
David worked with directly with the CFO and CEO of a regional bank and his wife had a successful career of her own. They had a baby, then had twins. There were cracks showing in the foundation of their marriage due to stress and exhaustion.
David realized the outcome he and his wife wanted went far beyond survival.
They agreed he should “walk away” from his career to invest his time as dad to his three children while his wife continued her career.
When the kids were old enough to go to school, David began to search for a new career, but realized he wanted more than just a job.
He eventually partnered with Kary Oberbrunner to build Igniting Souls, where he helps individuals and organizations clarify who they are, why they are here, and where they should invest their time and energy.
Listen to Part I
- David's transition from career to stay at home dad to entrepreneur.
- David's relationship development with his business partner Kary Oberbrunner and how they work together.
- The differences in stresses between career success, full time fatherhood and entrepreneurship.
- David's reinvention of himself, finding his identity.
Listen to Part II
- David's role in the Igniting Souls organization.
- The goal of the programs David and his partner are developing.
- What impact means.
- Where David finds his reward.
- Why focusing on outcome enables you to make wise decisions.
You can find David’s thoughts from Part II HERE.
David's Thought Leadership
- “Stress is caused by fear. The fear within my job was that I felt I didn't have control over my future. Even though I enjoyed the work, I was unfulfilled because forces beyond my control [had direct impact on my opportunities and my job.]“
- “I am absolutely unemployable now. I am so used to calling my own shots. I realized during an interview a few years ago [giving up my freedom and control] was going to be an issue.“
- “I was in a major transition. Men identify themselves as what they do. I was never going to be a banker again; that chapter had been written, it's closed and it's over. Then I was a dad, and then I didn't need to be a full time dad. I was asking ‘Who Am I', ‘How do I re-invent myself?' and searching for answers.“
- “Sometimes you hear a message that hits you so square between the eyes that it changes you. You hear somebody say something. They impact you in such a way that that moment becomes a milestone in your life.“
- “I sit down in the role of a potential customer. We go through [a course, self study materials, a presentation] until we come up with simple, understandable steps. It's about creating a trail people can follow. We package the process in a way that people can understand.“
- “We are able to create these programs because these are challenges we have gone through in our own lives.“
Links to Resources Mentioned
- Igniting Souls Conference – “Becoming Unhackable” – October 22nd and 23rd, 2016 (Saturday and Sunday)
- Your Secret Name: Discovering Who God Created You to Be
- Deeper Path
- Day Job to Dream Job: Practical Steps for Turning Your Passion into a Full-Time Gig
- Your Secret Name Five Week Journey
- Deeper Path Webinar – Enjoy this webinar to see what The Deeper Path is all about.
- Deeper Path Cohort Self Study – Understanding your purpose. Advance through the materials at your pace.
- Day Job To Dream Job Self Study – How do I start something new?
- The Elixer Project – Kary's 7th book will release in December 2016.
- Author Academy Elite: For those who now know who they are and want to get their story and their message into a book so that others can benefit.
David's Contact Information
Be A Part of the Success to Significance Community
- Subscribe: Subscribe to The Success to Significance Podcast in iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher Radio.
- Encourage: If you've listened to a few episodes, please do us a favor and provide a rating & review. Make sure you use your real name and website in the text of the review itself. Rick will mention you on a future show.
- Share: Share a link to Success to Significance with the people that matter to you – right click & copy a link to this page, the link to iTunes, the link to Google Play, or the link to Stitcher Radio.
- Engage: Subscribe to Rick's Success to Significance newsletter
- Connect: with Rick on LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+.
- Communicate: Email Rick at Rick@RickCoplin.com with questions, comments, and encouragement. You can also leave a voice message below. You will hear back from him & he is eager to help.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Success to Significance.
I appreciate your time and attention. We live in a busy, noisy world, and for you to invest your time in learning from our Success to Significance guests, is deeply meaningful to each one of our guests and deeply meaningful to me
If there is anything I can do to help you, leave a voice message above or email me at Rick@RickCoplin.com.
Photo Sources: Book covers via Amazon. All others via Igniting Souls.