Success to Significance welcomes Dr. Harold Arnold, an entrepreneur, Social and Organizational Psychologist, and professional in the Pharmaceutical Industry who is pursuing his passion in the part time margins of life.
Today we talk with Dr. Harold Arnold. Harold is a passionate teacher. He and his wife lead marriage conferences throughout the United States. Harold has written two books and is currently writing a third due to be published in September 2016.
Dr. Arnold actively blogs at The Pursuit of Influence and hosts The Leading You Home Podcast, both of which are solid resources for busy professionals.
Against this backdrop of activity, it is key to note that Harold is writing, podcasting, speaking and building his platform on the side while focused on his full-time job as a Pharmaceutical Market Researcher.
As a result he understands the necessity of focused effort toward significant goals and the challenge of building a business in the margins of a successful professional career and very busy life.
Harold's Thought Leadership
- “I do relationships. I help people identify relationships, authentic relationships that matter.“
- “I don't want to give the impression I have everything figured out and that its smooth sailing for me right now, because it's not. For me its a continues process of figuring out, positioning and trying to listen well to God, to myself, to my tribe and to those elders and wise people who I allow to speak into my life.“
- “The great thing about my wife is she's a praying woman of God and even though we have very significant differences in our personalities. Me, much more of an extrovert, her, much more of an introvert. Many differences that come along with that. We are aligned on the things that matter most. That is a centerpiece and hallmark of our marriage and of our ministry, in fact.“
- “If the home ain’t right, nothin ain’t right.“
- “Just to be clear, I continue to work a full-time day job. I want the audience to really be clear about this. I am by day, a Pharmaceutical Market Researcher…I still work at a day job that is different than what I call my passion portfolio. That is important to understand in explaining the Second Shift.“
- “I leave my day job and many days I go to my second or third office. Sometimes that's Starbucks, sometimes that's my office here in my home. I sit down from 6 to 9, 10, 11, 12, working on what it is that I've been doing to have impact in these different spaces. I want to say it isn't just about having a haphazard, oh, ‘I'll do this when I feel like it'. I [have] a sense of responsibility and accountability to it.”
- “I think it's important to say that because often times we get on, and we listen to podcasters who often times were ‘first shifters'. We hear others talk about their testimonials of those who were ‘first shifters' and we can almost get to this point where we feel some sense of failure [and say ‘what's wrong with me? Why isn't God opening this door for me? I followed these steps. I've read this and I've attended these classes. I've done this coaching certification.' I can go down a litany of things but, yet things that you expected to happen, haven't happened yet. My encouragement is to keep doing what God put in you to do.“
- “We can learn to master and be true and authentic to the little time that we have on the second shift, that that is preparing many of us to have maximum impact and to be brought before great men whether that's on the second or first shift.“
Links to Resources Mentioned
During our discussion, we talked about Harold's two books.
I'm sure you'll recognize through our conversation that marriage and family is of utmost importance to Harold.
His most recent book is Second Shift: How to Grow Your Part-Time Passion to Full-Time Influence, is particularly suited for those pursuing significance in the part-time margins of very busy life. Second Shift is a book for faith-inspired men and women who desire a better understanding of how to:
- Identify their God-given purpose and gifts
- Overcome the mental hurdles to success
- Build and empower a loyal tribe through uncommon service
- Maximize the reach of one’s influence despite time and resource limitations
Dr. Harold Arnold Contact Information
Get The Transcript
Every Success to Significance conversation has a transcript prepared so that you can read, mark important thoughts, and make notes for your use.
Please feel free to share your transcript PDF with someone who could benefit from reading it and accessing links to the podcast themselves.
Be A Part of the Success to Significance Community
- Subscribe: Subscribe to The Success to Significance Podcast in iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher Radio.
- Encourage: If you've listened to a few episodes, please do us a favor and provide a rating & review. Make sure you use your real name and website in the text of the review itself. Rick will mention you on a future show.
- Share: Share a link to Success to Significance with the people that matter to you – right click & copy a link to this page, the link to iTunes, the link to Google Play, or the link to Stitcher Radio.
- Engage: Subscribe to Rick's Success to Significance newsletter
- Connect: with Rick on LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+.
- Communicate: Email Rick at Rick@RickCoplin.com with questions, comments, and encouragement. You can also leave a voice message below. You will hear back from him & he is eager to help.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Success to Significance.
I appreciate your time and attention. We live in a busy, noisy world, and for you to invest your time in learning from Harold Arnold, is deeply meaningful to him and deeply meaningful to me as well.
If there is anything I can do to help you, leave a voice message above or email me at Rick@RickCoplin.com.