Kim Emch was a corporate executive, became a stay-at-home mom, and then discovered poverty in her wealthy suburb. Now, she leads an organization changing lives one family at a time.
Kim Emch is the Founder and Executive Director of Serving Our Neighbors (SON) Ministries.
Kim worked for eight years in the corporate world, gaining high-level customer service and corporate training skills as she moved into the executive ranks. She left her corporate position for family reasons, and while active in her community, discovered that her affluent suburb had a population subset that lived in poverty, and was largely unnoticed.
Kim founded the Hilliard (Ohio) Free Summer Lunch Program in 2007. As the program grew to a year-round ministry partnering with children and families in poverty in a suburban setting, she expanded the mission of the organization and Serving Our Neighbors (SON) Ministries began in 2009.
To give you an idea of scale, in 2016, SON Ministries had 569 volunteers meeting over 700 volunteer opportunities combining in over 16,000 hours of service.
Kim has an amazing, positive spirit that will inspire you to look more closely at your community and ask “what can I do to make people’s live better?” SON Ministries has helped fifteen Ohio organizations begin their own programs, and Kim would gladly do the same with you in your community.
Listen to Kim on How To Eradicate The Hidden Poverty In Your Community:
Kim's Thought Leadership
- “I learned there were 2,158 children in my suburb who were receiving a free or reduced cost lunch. I was completely floored by that. I expected that in the inner city. When I heard that number, My life had a defining moment: Now I know, Now what?”
- “There are more people living in poverty in suburban settings than in inner city settings today.”
- “Parents told me that because of illiteracy, lack of English, challenging work schedules, and lack of technology, that they could not help their children.”
- “The bulk of the things we do don’t take much money. It takes a lot of people doing a little bit that altogether, changes peoples’ lives.”
- “When neighbors, individuals and corporations get lit on fire to do something in the world that makes a difference in someone’s life, the [possibilities] are limitless.”
- “We believe that everyone wants to do something in the world, they just don’t know how. So we make it our business to tell them how, today, tomorrow or next week.”
- “It’s a beautiful thing to watch community members, children and their families find common ground.”
- “I am 100% certain that there are children who need a summer lunch in every town in America.”
- “There are some structural DNA pieces of SON Ministries that can be replicated in any community.”
- “The richness in my life is not measured in pennies, nickels or dollars. It is measured in relationships.”
- “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Links to Resources Mentioned
- Kim's email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SON Ministries: www.son-ministries.org
- SON Ministries on Facebook: facebook.com/sonministries
- SON Ministries on Instagram: @sonministries
- SON Ministries on Twitter: @sonministries
- Cameron Mitchell Restaurants
Shout outs to prior guests:
- Vincent Pugliese, a guest on the episode How to Determine The Life You Want To Lead, successfully launched an online course with Kyle Shultz to help parents take better pictures of their kids playing sports. Vincent has a free email based course called the Sports Photo Mini Course (For Parents).
Be A Part of the Success to Significance Community
- Subscribe: Subscribe to The Success to Significance Podcast in iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher Radio.
- Encourage: If you've listened to a few episodes, please do us a favor and provide a rating & review. Make sure you use your real name and website in the text of the review itself. Rick will mention you on a future show.
- Share: Share a link to Success to Significance with the people that matter to you – right click & copy a link to this page, the link to iTunes, the link to Google Play, or the link to Stitcher Radio.
- Engage: Subscribe to Rick's Success to Significance newsletter
- Connect: with Rick on LinkedIn, Twitter and Google+.
- Communicate: Email Rick at Rick@RickCoplin.com with questions, comments, and encouragement. You can also leave a voice message below. You will hear back from him & he is eager to help.
Thanks for listening to this episode of Success to Significance.
I appreciate your time and attention. We live in a busy, noisy world, and for you to invest your time in learning from our Success to Significance guests, is deeply meaningful to each one of our guests and deeply meaningful to me.
If there is anything I can do to help you, leave a voice message above or email me at Rick@RickCoplin.com.
Photo Sources: Kim Emch